Implementing any new process or software system can be a challenge. People process new technology and new systems in different ways. In this article on our blog, we discuss a few ways to help prepare your staff for SAM including being very clear on your organization's processes. The guide below outlines best practices for implementing SAM in your organization. Of course there is no one-size-fits-all for every team, however, this process (in our experience) has been very effective.
One of the first steps we recommend is to communicate the software changes across departments to get buy-in. Adopting new software is easier when you have created excitement and successfully conveyed the the benefits of the new software and how it will, after the learning curve, make your team's life better.
Start with a training plan for ONE of your processes.
- DO THIS FIRST: In order for some of SAM’s functions to work properly, your settings will need to be configured. This includes setting up your person record (if not already done), your email sending/importing settings, changing your password and setting your time zone. Start your training session by showing your team how to manage their person record and settings.
- Next, take a look at just one of your program's processes. Then chunk that process down into parts to teach one step at a time. For example:
- Add a family record
- Add organizations and people that support the family such as governmental agencies, contractors, case workers and more.
- Then, begin to work through the sidebar of the family record (edit the family record, checklists, adding communications, adding documents)
- Instruct your team to add test records: add a family, and name the family with their first name and last name as “test” so it distinguishes that this is a test record for your team.
- Next, you can go through each entity type such as Child, Birth Parents, etc. and repeat
- Then, practice creating an adoption, creating a placement and linking entity types together
Train the trainers.
- Decide on the right training method for your staff: what learning method works best for them? We've found that a combination of group in-person (or virtual) training sessions where staff are able to practice and ask questions as well follow up with video guides work best.
- Practice, learn and test with Admins/trainers before introducing to the greater team.
- Create guides specific to your process(es) including video demonstrations (use Vidyard, Loom or Snagit to record your screen).
- We can help! You are not alone in this process. If you need help from the SAM team, just book a support call.
Schedule training sessions with the greater team after Admins feel comfortable teaching the process.
- Create small training groups for team members with specific roles. For example, a contract social worker may just need to know how to add a communication, use the family portal and checklist functions.
- Schedule the team meeting with all involved with a specific process to go through the steps together on your own machines. Take it slow and do one step at a time.
- Schedule training at regular intervals to add
Teach one process at at time.
- Schedule additional training for your next program process when users have implemented the first process effectively.
You got this! But, if you need help, just reach out and schedule a call with our team.