Documents are the electronic versions of paper files that are uploaded to your site.
Under all entities you will find a sidebar link labeled Documents. This section is the main repository for documents uploaded for client records. Documents uploaded from various forms and checklists are all stored in this section.
1. From the Documents Section itself
This section is the repository for Documents uploaded from forms or checklists and available it is on all entities/records.
2. From Forms
3. From Checklists
Documents can be uploaded through internal or public checklists.
When you upload a document through a form or checklist, that document is added to the Documents section for that record by default.
One file can be uploaded at a time. Open multiple screens to upload documents simultaneously. Some users zip multiple documents and upload the zip file to SAM vs individual documents.
By default, SAM is setup to rename documents on upload. When users download the document later, it has a standard descriptive name. SAM renames documents to [Entity Name]_[Document Type]. [Entity Name] is the Full Name of the Entity/Record, like Family, Person or Organization.
To encrypt documents, use a utility like 7-zip to compress and encrypt the document before uploading into SAM. This high level of security ensures only the people with the encryption password that was used will be able to view the document's contents, so keep that password stored in a secure place, like a password manager. So if you loose the encryption password that was used we can't help you recover it and the document will be inaccessible.
After a document is uploaded, SAM will display a link to download the document.
Edit a document
- Click the edit link (green pencil), then update the fields needed.
- Press Save when complete.
Delete a document
- From the document page in your client record, click Advanced Options.
- Scroll down and click Delete one of the Sub-Records. SAM will show a red x for each document.
- Click the red x next to the document you want to delete. Confirm "OK" at the popup.
Document Type List
The Document type list is used to describe the document to users. Admins should work with their teams to create a list reflective of documents required by programs while making it organized.
This list can be managed by editing the list or it may be modified when adding Checklist items when that checklist item is to upload a document.
The list has an of Document Category, which can be used to assign a "folder" to that document type. The Document Category is on a Document Type table available under "Main Entity" Documents. It is only available through Reports or View only Forms.
When a document that's been uploaded is replaced, the previously uploaded document is available through SAM's Modification History.
Share documents uploaded in SAM via URL
Copy and paste the document link into an email. This can only be sent to SAM Users that have Permissions to view the document.
Email Uploaded Documents as Attachments
- Open an entity's form.
- Click on Documents from the side bar.
- Click on Advanced Options > Email Document(s).
- A list of all stored documents will open. Check next to the documents to share. Press save.
- Select the email address(es) that you want to email to or type in directly. Press Save.
- Choose to use a template or enter the email body manually. When using a template, you will be directed to select the template for use, then the body of the email will open to allow you to make final changes. For a manually written email, you will be sent directly to the email summary to type the subject and body, add any additional documents.
- Press save when finished.
These emails are automatically stored in the Communications record for the entity. The document attachment is not saved in the Communication record.
Change Document Settings
Settings > Misc Advanced System Settings > Documents | Auto-Rename on Upload
This setting is not applied retroactively. Documents previously uploaded will not be renamed when the setting is changed.
Special Exception: When a document is uploaded from a form that is entering the name of a main record, the document will not be renamed, because it can't for technical reasons.
Stop creating document records from forms/checklists
To exclude documents from being uploaded to the main Document section, like for restricted documents, SAM Admins can change a configuration on the Document Type list.
1) Access the Document Type List
2) Edit the Document type to be excluded.
3) Check Exclude from Document List. Press save. When checked, the document will only be accessible through the form or checklist where it was uploaded.
Note: If a document is uploaded through the Main Document List and the selected Document Type has this option enabled, the document will not be visible anywhere.