Surveys are a special type of public form designed for anonymously collecting answers. They can be used for a variety of reasons from collecting client feedback to employee satisfaction and performance reviews and more.
Users must have Full Admin permission to access the Survey management page.
Steps to creating a new survey
1) Write out the purpose and questions for your survey
2) Create a new survey
3) Adjust the survey settings
4) Add your survey questions (called "survey field")
5) Edit the survey response types from the default if needed (called "field types")
6) Send out your survey in an email and/or use an auto action
7) View and share your survey results
1) Before you create your new survey, decide:
- What is the purpose of your survey? What information are you trying to collect?
- Who is this survey going to?
- List out the questions you would like to ask.
- The type of response you are going to collect, for example, text box, radio button, drop down list, etc. In SAM these are called "field types." Below is a list of the options you have to choose from in SAM. If you decide to use a drop down list, for example, write out the possible answers before you begin creating your survey. NOTE: SAM survey's default field type is radio-button-list.
- SAM has the ability to create multiple sections in surveys. Do you need more than one section to organize your survey questions better?
Surveys can be accessed from the Home Page under Settings > Surveys. This takes you to a list of all enabled Surveys. Click the details link (little magnifying glass) at the right side of the row to access each individual survey's details and options.
2) Create a new survey
- Navigate to Settings > Surveys.
- Click Create New Survey on the Sidebar.
- Enter a title for the survey: "survey title" refers to the internal name for the survey and "public survey title" refers to the public facing name. These can be the same or different names. Enter a survey memo to describe what the survey is for, etc. if you would like.
- Enter your Survey Settings (see below for descriptions). Then click Save.
3) Survey settings explained:
Click "enabled" to set the survey to active. Once you don't need the survey anymore, you can disable the survey.
Special Link Required to Access
When "Special Link Required to Access" is set to Yes, SAM restricts access to the survey to only people that have the link on an email template. When you use this setting, you can only send a link to the Survey by using a Template.
Note: this setting cannot be changed once you hit "save"
The template can be sent via bulk email or auto action. For instructions on sending survey's in a template/bulk email see THIS GUIDE.
Number of Surveys Sent can only be tracked when "Special Link Required to Access" is used.
This selection determines whether the results of the survey are tied to the entity. If this box is checked, a survey will not show as completed by the survey recipient. Whether the results of the survey are tied to the entity, so users cannot see who completed a particular survey.
This can NOT be changed after the Survey has been added.
Once per Entity Only
Select when recipients should only complete a survey once. This prevents survey results from being modified.
Note: this can only be selected when "Special Link Required to Access" is also selected.
Once per Case Only
This setting ensures that recipients only complete a survey once PER CASE, and cannot go back and change the answers at a later time once completed.
Note: this setting can only be used when "Special Link Required to Access" is selected
4) Add your survey questions ("survey field")
- On the Survey Details - click Add Survey Field from the sidebar to add a question (in SAM, a field)
- Enter the Field Title, then press Save. On Save, SAM will take you to Form Customizer for your survey.
- Repeat this step for all fields.
- NOTE: SAM survey's default field type is radio-button-list. To learn how to change the "field type" to a list, text box, dropdown menu, etc. see THIS GUIDE.
When you scroll down the screen, you'll notice there is another section called "Public Forms Field Title." This section is for when you want the public facing survey question to be different from the internal field title.
If you'd like the field to be set to a "required" field that must be entered, check the required field box.
Continue adding fields until you have all of your survey questions added.
You can add existing fields from the Survey's table by clicking on the "Add Existing Field" link below the Save button on the "Create New Field" screen. You can access the Table under Settings > Tables and Fields > Surveys. Each survey is self-contained, so fields from one survey can't be re-used on another.
Add survey sections if needed
If you would like to split your survey questions up into sections, simply add all of the questions ("fields") in the first section, then select Add Section from the sidebar. Name your section and click Save.
Surveys take the styling of your Default Public Form Header / Footer, so you can dress them up as you would when designing the look of other Public Forms your team uses. You can also add text, images and links to the top and bottom of your survey by clicking the small link above or below your survey questions.
From the sidebar, you can reorder fields, change which fields are required, add sections, and add or remove fields