The report builder module allows SAM users with the Administrator permission level to design new or modify existing reports.
Access Report Builder two ways:
- Setting > Report Builder > Create New Report / ... from Existing / Edit Existing Report
Open a Report > Options > Edit this Report
Create New Report
1. Click Create New Report from the side bar.
2. Name the new report. Press Save.
3. Choose the Main Entity / Parent record for which the report will describe. Click Save.
4. Select additional sub-tables that the report is about. Multiple tables can be selected. Some combinations of tables will not make sense, such as multiple 1:Many tables.
Must Be in Results will limit the report to Parent records that have sub-records from this table. In this example, if the Placements table is checked, the report would pull child records with Placements.
Click Save to continue.
5. Click on a table name to select fields that you want shown as columns on the report.
6. Put a check next to each field. Press Save.
Note: Some fields, like timeline fields, will not appear on the report if all their values are empty.
7. The Report Builder screen will open. A report preview of the selected column fields is shown at the top of the screen. Further modifications to the report can be made using the side bar.
Side Bar Links
Create New Report - this link will take you back to step 1 to create a new report.
Create New Report from This One - this link will create a duplicate of the exact report you are on. SAM will direct you to rename the new report. This is useful to create different timeframes of the report. Example: This Week, This Year, Past 3 Months
Add Fld to Report - this will take you back to step 5 to select the table, then fields to add to the report.
Remove Fld from Report - this will add a red x above each field/column listed. Click the x for the columns you want to remove.
Modify Column Order - this will add a numbered drop-down list above each field/column listed. Use the drop-down to order the fields.
Open Report - this link will open the actual report in a new tab, so you can view the results.
Modify Column Widths - Blue bars displayed on each side of fields that can be dragged left or right to increase/decrease the width of the column.
Modify Report Name - Rename the current report.
Modify Tables included on Report - Add/remove tables used on the report. See step 4 above.
Signature Lines Configuration - Adds signature lines to a print out of the report.
Misc Advanced Options - options to change the Report Name, Report Hint/Memo, and selections for Template Report Styling. Learn more about Template Reports here.
Delete Report - Delete the report from SAM. SAM will confirm before making the delete. This action cannot be undone.
Include filters to reduce the outcome/results of the report. These filters will create the default report each time the report is accessed. Additional filters can be added while viewing the report.
1. Click Modify Filters.
2. Choose the table > Field > an operator to describe how you want to filter > Value to filter by.
Multiple filters can be added by clicking the Add Filter link.
3. Press Save. If you decide not to continue adding the filter, press Back to Report Builder without saving.
These can be applied to the report to summarize the data into manageable groups, to assist with reading the report. Adding Report Stats is optional.
Examples, Children into male/female, Persons into Executive Directors/Social Workers, or States/Country.
Click here to learn how to use and add Report Stats.
Sorting displays the results in a specified order. SAM allows you to sort by any field from the included tables descending/ascending. You can select up to three fields to sort by.
1. Click Modify Default Sorting.
2. Select the table, then field to sort by. Select Ascending or Descending.
3. Click Save.
These are additional selections to tailor the report's outcome.
Show Totals - Totals specified fields at the bottom of each page of the report.
Show Averages - Averages specified fields at the bottom of each page of the report.
Show Min & Max - shows the Minimum and Maximum for specified fields at the bottom of each page of the report.
NOTE: Fields must allow totals on forms and reports for it's statistics to be presented.
Learn how to change the Field Property to do this here.
Rec/Page - changes the default number of records displayed on each page.
Show Record Counts on Report Menu - shows the record counts from the Report Menu on the Home Page.
Field Values Editable - allows fields to be edited directly on the report.
Create New Report from Existing
1. Open Settings, click on Create New Report from Existing and choose the report you want to base the new report from, Name the report, and click Save.
2. The Report Builder will open with the same setup as the former report.
3. Add filters, more columns, Report Stats, etc to differentiate the report.
4. Click Save when finished.
Edit Existing Report
1. Open Settings, click on Edit Existing Report and choose the report you want to modify.
2. The Report Builder will open, make modifications and press Save when done.