For "Text" field types you can choose the maximum number of characters that users are allowed to enter.
For "Regular" Text field types this setting will prevent the user from entering any more characters once they have reached the limit, but for "Large Multi-Line" Text field type most web-browsers will allow the user to enter more text than what will actually be saved.
For "Regular" Text field type the default character limit is 128. For "Large Multi-Line" Text field type the default character limit is 2048. For "Small" Text field type the default character limit is 16.
To change the character limit:
- Open the field properties for the field
- Click on "Edit Field Type" in the Advanced Options
- Click Save on the first prompt of "Select Field Type" (make sure that "Text" is selected)
- On the "Text Field Type Options" screen click on the Change Field Length from Default link at the bottom right corner, if the "Character Length" field is not shown
- For "Large Multi-Line" Text field type you have the option to select Unlimited. (If you enter a number of 4000 then Unlimited will be used due to Database settings.)