Fields can be changed and moved from one table to another to better setup your data structure. This is an advanced function! If you need assistance, please reach out to Inreach Solutions support team.
Changing a Field from one type to another
Fields can only be converted to another field type IF no records have data in that field. Otherwise, our team will need to manage this function for you.
Sometimes a field may need to be converted from one field type to another. These are the options when converting from one type to another.
- Text to List: values entered in the text field will become a List Item after selecting or creating a new list.
- List to Text: values entered in the list field will be converted to text.
- List to Radio Button List: data entry will be changed from a drop down list to a radio button.
- List to Checkbox-List: data entry will be changed from a drop down list to a checkbox-list.
- Radio Button List to Checkbox List: values will be lost for records. Recommended only if there are no existing values.
- Yes/No Radio Button to List: List Items will be entered as Yes =1 and No = 2. Edit List Items to rename and add the other List Items as needed.
- "Yes/No Radio Buttons" are different from a "Radio Button List", because the "Yes/No Radio Buttons" are stored as true/false values.
- Yes/No Radio Buttons to Checkbox List: Not possible. Create new field.
- Yes/No/Undecided List to Yes/No Radio Button: Not possible, values are lost. Create a new field. Bulk-update records to enter the Yes/No values to the new field.
- Checkbox Lists: Not possible. Create new field.
Move a Field from one Table to another
- Open Field Properties screen for the field you want to move.
- Click Advanced Options > Really Advanced Options > Move to Another Table
- Choose the table to move to. Press Save.
SAM only allows specific tables to move to, and it may take more than one time going through this process to move a field up multiple levels in the table hierarchy.
Moving a field can cause data loss if you are moving up one level, like from the Case table to the Main table. If you're unsure, it may be better to Create a new Field and use Bulk Update to copy the data from the original field to the new field.
Fields that cannot be moved
Calculated Fields Fields from 1:Many Tables to a 1:1, create a new Field instead.