Relating Tables to Forms
Forms are used to view and enter data into SAM. Form Customizer is the tool that allows SAM Leads to edit and build forms. There are some concepts and terms to be aware of to help you navigate this tool.
SAM has many options for formatting forms. These basic and most commonly used options are found on the sidebar of the Form Customizer screen.
How to access Form CustomizerThe easiest way to access Form Customizer for a form is through a link on the form itself.
Settings > Form Customizer
This section provides a full list of forms in your SAM site. Select a form to edit. Use your browser's Find function, by using Ctrl + F to search for the form by the form's name.
Three options for adding fields to forms:
1. Click Add Field from the sidebar. Select an existing field from one of the table options. Press Save.
2. To add multiple fields at once, click the Add Field link. Click Add Multiple Fields from the lavender link at the bottom.
The link is a little hidden (we get it!), but it is possible to add more than one field at a time to save time when you want to add many fields. On the next screen, you'll add a checkmark next to each field you'd like to add.
3. Add a new field to SAM and the form at the same time.
Sometimes you will want to add fields that do not yet exist in your SAM system. And you can!
- Click Add Field, then Create New field for the table you want to add the field to (located under the Save button...it's out of the way.)
- Enter the new Field Title, hint and other requested information. Follow the prompts to setup the field.
Once you have made a selection, you will be taken back to the form. The field just added will be shown as the very last field on the form at the bottom right corner of the form.
Change a field's position on the form:
- Click Edit Field Positions on the side bar.
- Two drop-down lists will open next to each field. One drop-down allows you to move the field to a different Section. The other allows you to select what order of the field in that section.
There is no Save button because the changes are instant. Once you have selected a new section or order from the drop-down lists the form will be changed instantly. Simple!
Better organize a field's position with sections:
Sections are available on Vertical forms to organize and categorize the fields shown on the form.
Through the Sidebar, users can Add a New Section or reorder the Sections (Edit Field Positions). Sections can be setup in one or two columns.
Set required fields:
- Click Edit Required fields from the sidebar.
- A checkbox and link to Enter Special Requirements will open next to each field.
- Enter a checkmark in each field that's mandatory to enter before saving/submitting that form.
Conditionally Required Fields
There are two options for conditions on field entry.
- When a field doesn't need to be entered - you will accept one of a number of entries, but to submit the form, the user must enter at least one of the fields.
- When a field is required only if something else is true - think Parent 2 email is needed only if an entry has been made for Parent 2 Name.
Remove a field from a form:
- Click Remove Fields on the sidebar.
- All fields will be shown with a "Remove" link next to each.
- Click the "Remove" link for all the fields that you want to remove from that form.
Basic Field Changes from a Form
Clicking on the Field title you would like to change will take you to the Field Properties Overview, where you can modify the field.