Fields are used to capture information about a record. There are many Field Types.
This screen tells us how this field is used in SAM. Provides links to Forms, Reports, Auto Actions, Checklists and Templates the field is used on.
Access Field Properties: Three Ways
- From a View form where the field is shown.
- From Reports by clicking the column heading > View Field Properties.
- From Settings > Tables & Fields, click on the Field Title.
Field Properties Overview
- Field Title - name of the field. Click to rename the field title.
- Table - directs you to the Table the field is on and list of other fields on the table.
- Field Type - shows the type of field: text, date, list, number, email address, hyperlink, document upload, phone number.
- Field Hints - Shares notes about why this field is available, special circumstances when using this field and hints for entering data displayed on forms.
- Field Hint - a message shown to form users (internal or external via Public Forms) to guide them in filling out this field.
- Field Setup Memo - notes for why this field is available and special configurations this field is used in. Full Admin Only.
Hints are shown beneath the field value or as a question mark icon to the right of the Field title or value. Hover over the field hint icon to view the hint.
- Field Stats - Provides details on how often this field is entered in SAM.
- Number of Records where Entered out of All Records - shows the count of records that have a value entered for this field out of the total number of possible records.
- Number of Distinct Field Values - shows the number of different data entry values made for this field. It could be helpful to change a text field to a list if there are very few distinct values.
- Field Values - Shows the values entered for the field and the number of records with that value. Greater than ten (10) values > SAM will show the Top 10 and provide a link to view all field values. When there are Field Values that have more than one (1) record count, SAM will show a link where only those values with greater than one record are shown, so you can do analysis.
Shows the last ten entries to this field. The date, user, old and new values are provided. For more modifications, a link is shown, which takes you to a report of all modifications for this field. This is only shown on systems with Modification History/Activity Tracking module enabled.
Forms, Reports, Auto Actions, and Checklists Used On
Provides a list of those where the field is used on. Each is a link which will take you to the configuration screens for the Forms, Reports, Auto Actions, or Checklist it is used on.
Without Form Customizer, a user can only Disable Fields under Advanced Options. Disable Field - hides the field from all Forms, Reports, Checklists, and Auto Actions. You would have to remove the field from any templates it may be used on. This action maintains all historical data entry for the field.
Link to Due Date/Link as Due Date Field
Allows you to connect two date fields as the Due Date and Completed Date when used on a Checklist.
Really Advanced Options:
Delete Field Forever - deletes the field from SAM and it's data entry if it were ever entered. If you are unsure about taking this action, you should Disable the field instead.
Full Address Fields
There are Full Address fields that pull together Street Address, Street Address 2, City, State, Zip into a more visually appealing single field. This field type can be found on the Main Entities.
When entering dates you must enter in the format: M/D/YYYY. If you enter 3/2/08, the system will record 3/2/1908 for the value. Invalid Date Error for a Valid Date You may receive an invalid date error for a date that is valid if the date is too far into the future or past . Dates can not not be more than 150 years in the past or 100 years in the future.
State or Region
When entering a location for an entity, the region is defaulted to a state within the United States. If the location is not within the US, choose the "Enter Region" link to the right of the field, you can then manually enter the State, province, region outside the US. You can always reverse this action by using the new link "Select State" to provide the list of US states.