Form Customizer allows you to set required fields for any form in SAM, which can be required universally, per form or under special conditions. Required fields are designed for data entry and so are only enforced on edit forms, not view forms or Cover Pages.
Make a field required universally:
When creating a new field, select the checkbox for Field Required Universally. Alternatively, for existing fields, you can set a field to be required universally.
- Open the Field Properties screen for the field.
- Click Advanced Options > View Field Properties.
- Scroll down to Advanced Props, then set Field Required Universally to Yes.
Make a field required on a form:
- Open the Form Customizer view of the form.
- Click Required Fields on the side bar. A Checkbox and "Enter Special Requirements" link will appear to the right of each field.
- Check the box next to each field that should be required. A red astericks will be shown next to the field. A user (internal or external Public Form user) must enter a proper value in the field before submitting the form. Sometimes, you may want to make a field required only if another field is answered, or if that field has a specific value. Example: If "Do you have children" = Yes, then enter child details.
Set a conditionally required field:
- Open the Form Customizer view of the form. 2. Click Required Fields on the side bar. A Checkbox and "Enter Special Requirements" link will appear to the right of each field. 3. Click Enter Special Requirements. 4. Select the type of requirement:
- Field is NOT required when another field is entered, or (2) Field is ONLY required when certain condition is met.
- SAM will prompt you to enter the Special Requirements.
- Option (1) : Select another field(s) that if entered, the originating field does NOT have to be answered. Use the Add Another Field link to add more conditions.
Option (2) : Here we must select the field and what value that another field must have. Use the Add Another Field link to add more conditions.
- Click Save.
- SAM will return you to the Form Customizer view of the form. The field with the condition will be shown with a green astericks and the condition for entry will be stated. To modify, click the Enter Special Requirements link.