In it we discuss the difference between Triggers and Actions and more ideas for getting ready to create your Auto Action. Please read this guide, "Before you Create Auto Actions, Read This," to prepare you. Ok, let's try it!
Create your new Auto Action
1. Go to Settings > Auto Actions > Create New Auto Action (from the side bar)
2. Name the Auto Action, then decide if you want this Auto Action to happen more than once per record by checking the box (or not), and enter a memo to better describe why this is created and who is using this, then click Save
3. Select the Auto Action Trigger
- Update Field when entering or changing information in a specified field, an action will perform.
- Insert Record When a new record is added. This could be a main record, such as Child or Person or for a sub 1:Many record, such as Parent Education, Background Check or Progress Report.
- Delete Record when removing a record.
- Schedule set tasks that are done continually at a set time period. If you choose Insert, Delete or Update a record, continue with these instructions. Learn more about this trigger type in our guide specific to Scheduled Auto Actions.
4. Determine the table the Auto Action will be triggered from. Be as specific as possible. Use the plus sign to the left of the tables to show additional tables.
5. Choose the specific field that's data entry will prompt the Auto Action to be triggered.
6. Enter conditions that describe how or why the Auto Action will be prompted.
Use Add Filter to continue to narrow the records affected by this Auto Action (optional).
When multiple conditions are added, determine if Results must match any or Results much match all filters to modify the records affected by this criteria. Press Save.
7. Set the Action and follow the instructions to complete the steps for that action type. The prompts that follow will depend upon the action you want SAM to complete.
Send Email: Send an email to selected recipients when triggered.
Add Alert: Enters an alert on the record's cover page.
Update Field: Modify a field within the system.
Add Checklist Section: Insert a checklist section with items for the record affected.
Group Prefill : Insert a Group of 1:Many Records, such as Parent Education records where the List Item is pre-populated. Document Checklist are entered with this selection.
Insert Record: Create a sub 1:Many record under the Main Entity/Record.
Once you have gone through the steps for how to handle the action, an overview of the Auto Action Details will open. From this screen, you can edit the criteria, disable, delete or continue to create additional Auto Actions.
Test the Auto Action to be sure it works and is complete
Create test records and trigger the Auto Action. Review that SAM completed the action.
Create a New Auto Action from an existing
Open the Auto Action that you would like to copy. On the sidebar, click Create New Auto Action from this one. Name the Auto Action and click Save. Then click the green pencil in the field you'd to edit and click Save.