If you haven't read the guide "Before you Create An Auto Action, Do This," we highly recommend you do so. In it we discuss the difference between Triggers and Actions and more ideas for getting ready to create your Auto Action.
Ok, let's try it!
Create Your New Auto Action
1. From the SAM Home page, go to Settings > Auto Actions > Create New Auto Action (from the side bar)
2. Name the Auto Action, then decide if you want this Auto Action to happen more than once per record by checking the box (or not), enter a descriptive memo if needed, then click Save
3. Select the Auto Action Trigger (see this guide for a description of Triggers vs. Actions)
- Update Field when entering or changing information in a specified field, an action will perform.
- Insert Record When a new record is added. This could be a main record, such as Child or Person or for a sub 1:Many record, such as Parent Education, Background Check or Progress Report.
- Delete Record when removing a record.
- Schedule set tasks that are done continually at a set time period. If you choose Insert, Delete or Update a record, continue with these instructions. Scheduled Auto Action instructions
4. Determine the table the Auto Action will be triggered from. Be as specific as possible. Use the plus sign to the left of the tables to show additional tables.
5. Choose the specific field that's data entry will prompt the Auto Action to be triggered.
6. Enter Trigger Criteria where you will input filters that describe how or why the Auto Action will be prompted. Click Add Filter to narrow the records affected by this Auto Action (optional). Results must match any or Results much match all filters to modify the records affected by this criteria. Press Save.
7. Set the Action to occur when the trigger criteria is met, and follow the instructions after each action to complete the steps for that action type:
Send Email: Send an email to selected recipients when triggered.
Add Alert: Enters an alert on the record's cover page.
Update Field: Modify a field within the system.
Add Checklist Section: Insert a checklist section with items for the record affected.
Group Prefill : Insert a Group of 1:Many Records, such as Parent Education records where the List Item is pre-populated. Document Checklist are entered with this selection.
Insert Record: Create a sub 1:Many record under the Main Entity/Record.
Once you have gone through the steps for how to handle the action, an overview of the Auto Action Details will open. From this screen, you can amend the criteria, disable, delete or continue to create additional Automated Actions.
When satisfied, test the Auto Action to be sure it works and is complete.
Create/Copy A New Auto Action From A Current One
Open the Auto Action that you would like to copy. On the sidebar, click "Create New Auto Action from this one."
Name the Auto Action and click Save. Then click the green pencil in the field you'd to edit and click Save.