Before you go through this guide, we recommend you read these first:
SAM can send internal and external emails for you when certain criteria is met. This is a great way to communicate with clients about their case status or notify staff and community partners of upcoming events.
You'll want to make sure that your email sending settings are setup in SAM before you can send an email from an Auto Action.
Some examples of SAM auto action emails:
- When application received date is not blank, send a welcome email to families
- When a case workers license will expire in a month, notify the staff member
- When a new donation is received, thank the donor
- Once a week, send a list of available foster homes to the program manager
Setup an Auto Action Email
- Setup the Auto Action trigger. For example, I want an email to go out to the family when application has been approved. The "application approved date" field being entered is the trigger, so I would click "Update Field."
- Select send email on the Auto Action type.
- Email template vs. manual entry. Select whether the email will be sent from a Template or a message created during the Auto Action setup. Most should be sent from a template (which you have previously set up in your Templates section). "Manually enter the email body" should only be used for very simple messages.
- Select the Template. Templates shown relate to the table/record specified in the Trigger selection.
- Select the email recipient. SAM will present records associated with the Main Record, like Case Worker or scroll to the bottom of the page to enter a specific email address.
- Remember: If only the Home Email address is selected, but the recipient does not have that email address type entered, the communication will not be sent.
PLEASE NOTE: Sending emails to all of an entity's email addresses will slow down your system so it may be more efficient to send really important emails to all of the entity's email addresses and then send the regular emails to a single email address. Recipients will receive an email to each email address selected.
- Select who the email is to be sent from.
System Default Email Account: This is the email account used for Default Email Sending Settings. Typically this is a generic "info@" account or your SAM Full Admin.
Specific Users Email Account: Generates a list of all SAM users.
Specific User by Role: Generates a list of linked Person records to the Main Record, like Case Worker. If the Person record does not have their email sending settings setup, SAM will send from the default email account.
Reply-To: Enter the correct email if the "reply to" should be different than the sending email.
Confirm Before Sending: this will determine if the email is sent out automatically or if a user must confirm the email to go out. If checked, the User Sent From selected will see a pop-up with the email message at next login after the Auto Action is triggered.
- Click Save. SAM will take you to the Auto Action Detail screen. From here, you can modify the Auto Action.
Who will this email go to?
SAM has a few tools to help you view records that an Auto Action will affect.
Records Matching Criteria
To View Email History: Click on the Auto Action, then Advanced Options < View Email History