SAM tracks Children and Family through their experience in foster care with your agency.
If you're curious about Accounting for Foster Care, click here to get there.
Children and Families have their own records and Cases. The Child's Case begins at Referral to your Agency, the Family typically starts at Inquiry. They are connected through a Placement.
A breakdown of the connections and tables used for this process:
A placement tracks the Location responsible for the Child's care and details associated with that specific placement. The Location can be either a Foster Family record or Organization record when placing a child in a group home setting.
Placement Type: links to the Care Payment Type which tells SAM what Accounting to apply for the Placement record.
Add New Placement
The Placements link is found on the side bar of the Child's Cover Page. Click the Add link to open the Placement form.
On Save, SAM will direct users to view all Placements for that Child. Each Placement record can be edited through the Edit link. Greater detail about the Placement can be collected from the Placement Details, specifically movement while in Placement, such as Respite or short term care.
Child Location Timeline
Child location timeline provides information on the child’s moves during a Placement. This can include Respite, detention, AWOL or other status.
Child Location Timeline can be used apart from a Placement Record in situations where the Child is not placed, but you are providing Respite or to track the Child during adoption.
Respite Using Child Location Timeline
Users should enter:
- Arrived at Location Date and Left Location Dates
- Status as Respite
- Respite Payment to allows you to pay the Foster Family vs the Respite Provider.
- Respite - Daily Payment Amount Override in special circumstances where Respite Rate from Rate History or the Default Respite rate are modified.
Auto Fill Child Location Timeline
When a new Child Location Timeline record is created that contains the arrived and left dates, SAM will automatically enter an additional record to show that child as returning to the Placement location.
Delete Child Location Timeline
- Click ‘Advanced Options’ from the side bar of the Placement Detail form or the Child Location Timeline History
- Click the ‘Delete One of the Child Location Timeline’ link.
- A red ‘x’ will appear to the right of each Child Location Timeline.
- Click the red ‘x’ on the record you want to delete.
- Confirm your selection and the Child Location Timeline record will be deleted.
Discharge / End Placement
To end a placement, enter the following date fields on the Placement End Date:
Delete a Placement
- Click Advanced Options from the side bar of the Placement Overview form.
- Click Delete One of the Placements.
- A red ‘x’ will appear to the right of each placement record. Click the red ‘x’ of the placement to be deleted.
- Confirm your selection and the Placement record will be deleted.
Maintain records of possible placement homes to assist in best matching a child and prospective foster home placement.
Prior Placement History
Prior Placement History is a record of where the child has been placed before your agency. This may be information you receive from the County about the child.
Accounting for Foster Care
SAM automatically calculates Foster Home Payments, Administration Payments and Respite for a Child at the end of each month. If you're curious about Accounting for Foster Care, click here to get there.