SAM integrates with Authorize.net for built-in credit card processing.
Credit cards can be accepted from an Invoice or through a Public Form. Application forms that require a fee for processing are a good example of a Public form to enable credit card processing.
An Authorize.NET account and Merchant Account are required to enable Credit card processing in SAM. Merchant Accounts may come bundled with an Authorize.NET. Be sure to specify Authorize.NET as the Payment Gateway when setting up your Merchant Account.
We recommend contacting your bank and comparison shopping to find a Merchant Account provider with the best rates for your organization.
Once you have setup a Merchant Account and an Authorize.NET account, send an email to email@example.com to provide us with your API Login ID and Transaction Key.
Retrieve your API Login ID and Transaction Key
- Log into your Authorize.Net account at: https://secure.authorize.net.
- Click on Settings under Account in the main menu on the left.
- From the Security Settings section, click API Login ID and Transaction Key.
- Enter the Secret Answer to your account's Secret Question.
- Click Submit.
American Express / Discover Cards
By default, American Express and Discover credit cards are not accepted because they typically need to be specially enabled with your Merchant Account.
To accept these credit cards, first make sure your Merchant Account has American Express and/or Discover credit card processing enabled,
- Go to Settings > Accounting Settings
- Set "Credit Card | Allow "American Express" Cards" to Yes and/or Set 'Credit Card | Allow "Discover" Cards' to Yes.
Testing your Account
Once we have entered your API Login ID and Transaction Key, you should test to ensure credit card processing is working properly.
** If your public forms are already being used, you should Create New Form from Existing, so that testing can be done on a form that is not live.
- Enable Credit Card processing on your test form and set the amount to be charged as $1.
- Submit the form with a working credit card number.
- In SAM, review the payment was received. Amount received, Received Date and Credit Card Transaction details should be entered automatically.
- Check the Authorize.NET website to verify that the transactions are posting to your account properly. The transaction should appear instantly in the Authorize.NET website.
- Test your Merchant Account by waiting a few days to make sure that the funds from your test charges are deposited in your linked bank account.
Your Credit Card could not be charged: Try a different card if the first one doesn't work.
Accepting Credit Cards on Invoices
If you are accepting credit cards as a method of payment for invoices, then you will need to enable that setting in SAM.
- Settings > Accounting Settings
- Set Invoices - Show "Pay Online" link = Yes.
This is not a retroactive setting, so existing invoices won't have this enabled. On an invoice, click Advanced Options > Edit Invoice and check the box for "Pay Online" for each fee applicable and then Save.
After a credit card payment has been processed, SAM stores the Transaction ID/Code and/or Authorization Code, which can be used to reference the transaction. SAM does not store credit card information.
In this Accounting Settings section, you can also enable automatic receipts (from SAM).