A strong password is essential to keeping your SAM database secure. We recommend using a password manager to generate and store strong passwords, so even you don't have to remember what it is.
Additionally, we recommend you change your SAM password every six months or less. Call us paranoid, but data security is something of an obsession of ours.
To change your password:
- Login to SAM
- Search and find your Person record
- Click "Edit Login / Permissions" (sometimes SAM admins place this under Advanced Options)
- On the Permissions page, click "Reset Password" next to your login information
- SAM will prompt you to enter your current password and then enter your new password twice.
- Hit "Save" and you are good to go!
What is a strong password?
A strong password contains over 6 characters, several symbols, and no ties to your personal informatino (such as your name, birth year, child or pet's names, etc).
|Bad Password||OK Password||Excellent Password|
By injecting numbers and special characters instead of letters, this password will take exponentially longer for a dictionary program to guess.
Strong passwords can be difficult to remember, which is why we're often tempted to use the same one over and over again. This is a serious security risk - if one site that uses that password is hacked, an attacker could potentially use it to login to your SAM site.
For this reason, we recommend using a password manager to generate a randomized and secure password (such as 82uhssk792JHcc&). Some free password managers include: